Wednesday, December 5, 2012

MEET LISA!

Today's guest blogger is our very own, Lisa Best. Lisa is our Development Director...and she's been sporting a sweet new car lately!
 
My name is Lisa Best and I am the Director of Development for Children Awaiting Parents.  What does that mean?  I beg for money! J  Actually, I share the mission of Children Awaiting Parents to as many people and businesses as possible, and try to find a way that we can partner together to benefit everyone, most importantly, our kids.

I have not experienced adoption in my immediate family, but I was introduced to Children Awaiting Parents about 10 years ago when I heard of this tiny charity that was doing amazing things.  I was working for a business at the time who somehow decided to support CAP with a small fundraiser, which I led.  I was so moved by this scrappy group of people who worked tirelessly on behalf of children who needed families.  What better cause could there be?  Since then I have volunteered for CAP, and last year I had the wonderful opportunity to come to work for Children Awaiting Parents.  I am so proud and happy to work here.  And two of the women I was so impressed with many years ago, Pat Burks and Veronica Black, are now my co-workers and friends, and I could not be more pleased.  My favorite day at work so far was the day we all went to the Rochester International Airport to welcome Veronica’s sons, Ian and Jaubert, to their new adoptive home in Rochester from their foster home in Louisiana.  To be able to witness those little boys running into the arms of their new Mom was amazing and solidified why we all need to continue to work hard to find homes for all waiting children, wherever they may be.  It is a great feeling to go to work at a job where you know that what you do makes a significant difference in the lives of people, and we have that here at Children Awaiting Parents.

In my “real life” I don’t have children of my own, but I am the most-fun Auntie you will ever find to my three nieces and one nephew.  I love animals (I have worked for the Seneca Park Zoo and Lollypop Farm in the past) and I currently share my house with a 27 year old parrot, a 17 year old dog, 2 cats, 2 parakeets and a very active fish tank.  I love horses and recently started horseback riding again after a long absence, and absolutely LOVE it!  I also enjoy working out (boot camp style!), exploring local parks and to travel, especially to places near water.  I also have my own business which is growing and although I wish I had a few more hours in the day, I couldn’t wish for a more fulfilling life.

If you have any thoughts on how your place of business might work with Children Awaiting Parents to find more kids great homes, please don’t hesitate to give me a call at 888.835.8802!

PS – This is my friend Atticus, who I helped to raise from a 3 day old calf back in my Lollypop days.  He is now 13 years old, and extremely handsome! 
 
Lisa and Atticus
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment