Friday, December 21, 2012

MEET MARK!

Today's guest blogger is our very own, Mark Soule. Mark is our fearless leader (aka. Executive Director).

Hello All,
My name is Mark and I am the Executive Director for Children Awaiting Parents. I have been the director for about 5 years but my history with this organization goes way back. I am the youngest of 6 adopted children of Dave and Peggy Soule. My parents, along with many adoptive families in the late 60’s began photo listing waiting children here in Monroe County. Forty years later, Children Awaiting Parents serves families in all 50 states and children from approximately 15.
Growing up, foster care and adoption were, to us, as normal as all our friends who were biologically connected to their families. We were cute kids who did not like their *vegetables. We became teenagers, who do not like their parents, and are now adults, (with kids of our own) who respect and finally appreciate all that our parents did for us. I can remember doing bulk mailings for CAP as a child. I’d ask, “Mom, can I go watch TV?” and the answer was often, “Sure, there is a bulk mailing that needs stuffing and stamping in the den. Have at it.”
My mother served as the first director for CAP and I never thought this would be where my passion went but I could not be happier to have made the choice to apply for this job. Mom is still on speed-dial and gives advice (asked for and unrequested).

Primarily my role is to keep out of my staff’s way. A bit tongue and cheek, perhaps, but the truth is that my staff knows their job FAR better than I could tell them how to do it.  I am blessed to work with powerful/passionate advocates. Their goal, every day, is to see what they can do to help find homes for the more than 100,000 children, here in the US, who live without a family. As a father of 3 children who appreciate the benefits of being part of a family (good as well as frustrating), I am energized every day to help them.
*Mark still does not like to eat his vegetables.


Kira, Mark's stunning wife, and Mark at our A Toast To Spring Wine Tasting


Mark's son Joe, his wife Kira, and his daughters Alex and Danni

No comments:

Post a Comment