Thursday, January 24, 2013

YOU KNOW I CRIED

Photo courtesy of NBC's Parenthood Facebook page

Some of you may have read my previous post about my obsession with Parenthood. It is such a good show and now that it's brought to light foster care adoption, it's definitely my favorite on-air program.

A few weeks ago, they aired an episode where Julia, pre-adoptive mother, struggles with whether or not she can adopt Victor. Many adoption professionals will tell you that it's perfectly normal to have feelings of insecurity or doubt when looking to adopt a child from the foster care system.

Can I do this?

Will the child love me?

Can I accept this child as my own?

Will I be able to advocate for my child?

Handle his/her needs?

Victor is showing affection to Julia's husband but is consistently disrespectful and unable to attach to Julia. Something so many of our families go through! Now, I realize that this is just a show but the issues brought up are real. Click here to watch the scene where Julia finally breaks down and admits to her brother that she's not sure she can commit to the adoption. 
 
So fast forward to this week where viewers got to experience Victor's adoption finalization. I can't express how great a job this show does in displaying real issues surrounding older child adoption. It's of course, still a show, and things get wrapped up all nice and pretty at the end but it's still so great at bringing our kids struggles to people's living rooms.

Here is a clip of Victor's adoption finalization. The entire family surrounds him in the judge's chambers and it's just beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment